Re: [LAD] RFC: Default discovery paths for LADSPA, LRDF, LV2 and DSSI (and more?)

From: Stefano D'Angelo <zanga.mail@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Jun 25 2009 - 18:47:23 EEST

2009/6/25 Jan Weil <jan.weil@email-addr-hidden>

> On Thu, Jun 25, 2009 at 05:25:48AM +0200, Stefano D'Angelo wrote:

> ~/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/LADSPA

> ~/Library/Audio/Plug-Ins/DSSI

> > > Note the order matters for PATH-like variables such as these.
> >
> > Apart from the "evaluate the path variable before using the default" I
> > don't see how the order should matter. Am I missing something?
>
> I guess it might matter if you have multiple version of the same plugin
> installed, depending on how the application references the plugins.
> Ecasound, for example, uses LADSPA unique ids if I remember correctly,
> which means only one of the multiple versions will be usable. Which one
> that is probably depends on the order of the paths.

That is bad of Ecasound, since ladspa.h says:

"Plugin types should be identified by file and label rather than by index or
plugin name, which may be changed in new plugin versions."

In case of multiple occourrences, myabe it's better to check for stat()'s
st_mtime to decide which one to load? However, I don't see any of such
mechanisms officially specified anywhere (apart from the "If present, this
should contain a colon-separated path indicating directories that should be
searched (in order) when loading plugin types." in ladspa.h, which really
means nothing)...

Stefano