Re: [LAD] reading and writing to /dev/dsp

From: Paul Davis <paul@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Jul 23 2009 - 16:38:14 EEST

On Thu, Jul 23, 2009 at 8:49 AM, Girish
Hilage<girish_hilage@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> Hi Paul,
>
>    Thanks for your reply.
>
>    The scenario is as follows :
>    I have an FC8 machine and suppose my friend have a RH9 machine.
>    I want to make him hear on his machine the song I am playing in 'xine' on
> my system.
>
>    For that I have written a 'daemon' which listens for connections from
> client and reads from /dev/dsp and writes to client.
>    The 'client' I have written is running on RH9, which connects to the
> daemon on FC8 and reads from it and writes to /dev/dsp on RH9.
>
>    On RH9 I can hear the song but with a lot of noise which I want to
> eliminate.
>    Can it be done using some other tool like (sox, play or padsp etc.)?

it would be nice if new software avoids the use of the OSS API
(read/write/open/close with /dev/dsp) as much as possible. it may look
like a perfectly reasonable way to write such a program to you, but
the continued use of this API by new (and old) software is a major
blocking factor to improving the state of audio on linux. please don't
do this.

there are several ways to accomplish what you want without writing any
software at all. i believe that PulseAudio can do this, so that might
be a first point of investigation, although I do not know what the
state of PulseAudio support on Fedora9 is. Xine also has JACK support,
and you can run netjack on both machines to pass audio back and forth.
this is a slightly fussier system to configure, but works very well
for those who have gotten to know it.