Re: [LAD] Connecting to Ekiga from the rest of the World

From: Jussi Laako <jussi@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Jul 25 2009 - 16:22:52 EEST

Nicola Larosa wrote:
> FEI (For Everyone's Info), while SIP is a standard and interoperable
> protocol, Skype is a proprietary protocol and app, and being a peer-to-
> peer system, it uses your bandwidth for other calls too.

This is true, and IMO, XMPP/Jingle is even better standard. Downside of
these compared to Skype is more or less total lack of encryption for the
actual voice RTP stream. I would hope that SRTP would be used more, but
establishing the key infrastructure to support it can be a bit complex...

Empathy (http://live.gnome.org/Empathy) is "the" Telepathy client for
the Linux desktop. Telepathy + Farsight is a framework to handle
IM/presence/call signaling and streaming.

        - Jussi