Re: [LAD] Kim did the switch to Linux

From: Florian Schirmer <florian.schirmer@email-addr-hidden-instruments.de>
Date: Wed Aug 05 2009 - 16:08:52 EEST

Hi,

On 05.08.2009, at 14:32, Ralf Mardorf wrote:

>>> A lot of professional studios changed from MacOS to Windows and
>>> more and
>>> more of the professional studios still change from MacOS to Windows.
>>> This isn't an opinion by me, but what I hear if I get in contact
>>> with
>>> people I know from my jobs I did some years ago. A lot of devices
>>> e.g.
>>> measuring instruments changed and still change from Linux to
>>> Windows.
>>> I'm unemployed but still know people who still work in those
>>> businesses.
>>> I know, there are some famous examples where companies change to
>>> Linux,
>>> but this isn't the standard.
>>
>> That may well depend on where in the world you're based, it doesn't
>> seem to be the case in the UK. I'm still in touch with a number of
>> non-geeky music people here, and they pretty much all use Macs.

It also depends at which group of people you're looking etc.

> I don't know any statistics. It's possible that I'm wrong, but I'm
> convinced I'm right ;). So, no stuff for a dispute, but it would be
> interesting to know the truth.
>
> Your impression has nothing to do, with the fact that you are a POSIX
> man yourself and that you might have a lot of friends that prefer
> POSIX,
> e.g. Linux or for proprietary software Apple? Btw., what software do
> you
> think or know do most people use for audio on Mac?

For OSX the top three are Logic, Live and ProTools. For Windows the
top two are Cubase and Live. Overall there are more OSX than Windows
users, since the switch to Intel based OSX systems the gap is steadily
increasing. Again this depends on which user group and territory
you're looking. So probably everybody's numbers / feelings are
correct, you just need to pick the right parameters when defining the
group of people you're looking at ;-)

Best,
    Florian