Re: [LAD] Kim did the switch to Linux

From: victor <Victor.Lazzarini@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Aug 05 2009 - 16:13:03 EEST

In my assessment, while Windows XP was usable for RT audio,
Vista is not. So I am surprised to hear that people using commercial
media apps prefer it to OSX, which supports audio and media much
more integrally (and Apple seems to have deliberately invested in
development for this side of the OS).

But I really don't know much of the commercial world, apart from
studio recording, which AFAIK in Ireland still is digidesign+OSX
based.

In any case, I have not seen better RT performance than a well-tuned,
well-spec'd patched Linux system. IMHO it beats any competition.
And as Kim Cascone says, if you are going to invest time in setting up
a system properly, you may as well go Linux. (This is something I
could never understand about certain companies: they would buy
Microsoft software, employ full-time staff to maintain it and many
of them would even pay for MS support. If you are investing the time
of your staff to support a bought closed-source product, you may
as well not invest the money too).

Victor