Re: [LAD] Kim did the switch to Linux

From: hermann <brummer-@web.de>
Date: Thu Aug 06 2009 - 15:10:45 EEST

Am Donnerstag, den 06.08.2009, 12:26 +0200 schrieb Ralf Mardorf:
> hermann wrote:
> > Hi
> >
> > Yes, I don't understand why people mean linux audio is a mess, last
> > day's I have setup a new box with debian/sid and it took me a half day
> > to get a full featured rt audio/midi environment on the run. It's like
> > always in life, if you wont to use a tool, you must know how it work's.
> > There is no diff in this case to windos or mac. Only, when you have
> > already learn how one tool works, may you don't wont to learn how a
> > other tool work to receive the same results. So the price for the switch
> > to linux is a small piece of your brain witch you must open for basic
> > linux knowledge. :-)
> >
> > hermann
>
> With knowledge you need half a day, for Windows people without knowledge
> need half an hour ;). But comparisons like this are useless. The
> conclusion that people started with Windows and don't know Linux isn't
> true for the scene were I'm from. We started with the C64 etc. and then
> we used Linux only and because of troubles with real-time audio some
> switched to Windows. As an audio engineer on work I had to work with
> Microsoft and Apple and less trouble, at home I'm using Linux with lot
> of troubles.
>
> Ralf

You will tell me that you could make a windows install in a half hour,
without knowledge ? And you find/buy/copy all applications you need for
a audio/midi session included ? But like you said, comparisons like this
are useless. The point is simple the people use windows or mac becasue
they use windows or mac, that's all. They only eat what they know.

And let me reaped, the price you have to pay for a linux pro audio box
is a small peace of your mind that you need to feat with the linux
knowledge base. If one is not willing to pay this price, linux isn't for
him/her. Then you have to pay the price windows or mac force you to pay.

hermann