Re: [LAD] [LAU] Kim did the switch to Linux

From: Arnout Engelen <lad@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Aug 08 2009 - 15:22:26 EEST

On Sat, Aug 08, 2009 at 12:10:51PM +0200, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> you very often can read, that Linux needs more resources, more RAM and
> CPU speed to do less than is possible on other OSs.

You can?

I don't think comparing linux/floss with windows/mac/*proprietary is bad -
if there's something specific that requires much more resources compared to
the competition, it's useful to find out why and fix it.

It's hard to do a useful apples-to-apples comparison though: broad statements
like 'linux performs better than windows' or vice-versa are mostly worthless,
as they don't lead towards any specific thing to improve.

> Nearly everybody subscribed to Linux mailing lists is interested in
> Linux and don't like other OSs proprietary software.

I'm not so sure - many people use Linux and other OSs/proprietary software
side-by-side, or use Linux simply because they like Linux, not so much because
they dislike the competition.

> But some issues should become better and some of those issues don't belong
> to the distribution folks, but to the coders.

Obviously.

Arnout