Re: [LAD] linux audio standards base?

From: Patrick Shirkey <pshirkey@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Aug 09 2009 - 15:49:22 EEST

On 08/09/2009 10:35 PM, Kjetil S. Matheussen wrote:

> On Sun, 9 Aug 2009, Patrick Shirkey wrote:

>>> No, as I said, the solution is very simple: Don't install a 64 bit
>>> OS. That's what's causing your problems, apparently.
>>>

>> Oh, I get you now.
>>
>> So are you advocating that the official recommendation of LAD is not
>> to use a 64 bit system?
>>

> I'm not sure what you mean by official recommendation, but from what
> you describe, 64 bit systems can cause problems when using flash and
> pulseaudio.

64 bit libflashplayer is hard coded to use /usr/lib/ and on Fedora 11
the 64 bit alsa-libs live in /usr/lib64/. I'm not sure that is a problem
with a 64 bit system, libflashplayer or just Fedora's packaging policy.

I am guessing that it affects a lot of people.

The stability issues I have seen are not related to libflashplayer. That
issue is more of a usability issue in that firefox/libflashplayer
doesn't release the alsa device which makes it hard to use jack or other
apps that require access to the alsa device.

Patrick Shirkey
Boost Hardware Ltd