Re: [LAD] linux audio standards base?

From: Patrick Shirkey <pshirkey@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Aug 10 2009 - 08:22:22 EEST

On 08/10/2009 12:21 PM, Jens M Andreasen wrote:
> On Sun, 2009-08-09 at 16:31 +0200, Arnold Krille wrote:
>

>> Looking away by only using 32bits is _not_ the solution.
>>

> How about CONFIG_X86_PAE?
>
> Wouldn't this allow for a balance between "domestic use" as well as a
> handful of memory hungry audio/video applications (or up to 64GB of
> buffered data)

Looks very useful for many "desktop" use cases. However I note from this
page: (first hit on google)

http://cateee.net/lkddb/web-lkddb/X86_PAE.html

"PAE is required for NX support, and furthermore enables larger
swapspace support for non-overcommit purposes. It has the cost of more
pagetable lookup overhead, and also consumes more pagetable space per
process."

That suggests to me a similar situation to a win modem or auto resampling.

- Should this be a recommended method coming from LAD?

BTW, it would be interesting to get some real world feedback from anyone
who has this enabled already on a 32 bit platform.

Patrick Shirkey
Boost Hardware Ltd