Re: [LAD] linux audio standards base?

From: Jens M Andreasen <jens.andreasen@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Aug 10 2009 - 10:14:21 EEST

On Mon, 2009-08-10 at 15:22 +1000, Patrick Shirkey wrote:

> "PAE is required for NX support, and furthermore enables larger
> swapspace support for non-overcommit purposes. It has the cost of more
> pagetable lookup overhead, and also consumes more pagetable space per
> process."
>
> That suggests to me a similar situation to a win modem or auto
> resampling.

Why? The sentences above do not specify what is compared and only
handwavingly suggests a cost of "more" ... Mind you, 64bit pointers
crawling all over the place ain't free either.

> - Should this be a recommended method coming from LAD?

Rather than suggesting something that is defunkt by default, yes.

> BTW, it would be interesting to get some real world feedback from
> anyone who has this enabled already on a 32 bit platform.

This would most likely be enabled by default for anybody who has
installed a 32bit distro on a machine with 8GB memory.