Re: [LAD] GTK+ vs QT for new Open Source Project.

From: Luis Garrido <luisgarrido@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Aug 14 2009 - 00:06:22 EEST

> To start such an Open Source Project requires standardizing on standards for
> the modules and the proposed standards have the project being based on
> GStreamer modules.  One of the most difficult questions in coming to the

If you are using GStreamer you might find GTK+ syntax very similar (I
personally find everything GLib counterproductive and, generally, a
sore to the eyes, but to each his own, a lot of very respectable
software is based on it, so there must be something to it.)

If you'd rather program in C++ then GTKmm is a wrapper around GTK.

Bear in mind that Qt is C++ and signal/slot based, so you'll have the
usual problem of integrating GStreamer callbacks using static methods
and the user payload at the calls.

If you are interested in an example I spent some time integrating
GStreamer and Qt in this little project of mine (in the distant future
I plan to drop GStreamer in favor of the infrastructure provided by
Sonic Visualiser):

http://sourceforge.net/projects/soundtoucher/

> current proposed standards was whether to use  GTK+ or  QT.    There was a
> lot more related audio software using GTK+ but this appeared to be due to
> previous licensing problems that have now been fixed.

A lot more? Mmm, checkout complex GUI apps like Rosegarden, Muse,
Qtractor, Musescore, Alsa Modular Synth, Sonic Visualiser... In the
Music Application menu of my desktop the only non-Qt applications with
a complex GUI are Ardour and Audacity.

Qt has always been GPL for GPL projects, so it has been widely used by
a lot of open source projects, no problems with the license
whatsoever.

If you have in mind a complex GUI and have little time to master a
toolkit I'd go with Qt because of its straightforward syntax and
thorough documentation. Otherwise, it is not really that important
what toolkit you choose, so I'd favour GTK because of its easy
integration with GStreamer and to keep the whole application under the
callback paradigm.

HTH,

Luis