Re: [LAD] GTK+ vs QT for new Open Source Project.

From: Paul Davis <paul@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Aug 14 2009 - 01:34:46 EEST

On Thu, Aug 13, 2009 at 5:06 PM, Luis
Garrido<luisgarrido@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> Bear in mind that Qt is C++ and signal/slot based, so you'll have the
> usual problem of integrating GStreamer callbacks using static methods
> and the user payload at the calls.

gtkmm is signal/slot based too, but because of its closer integration
with C++ idioms, this particular issue doesn't arise too much. you
don't need a pre-processor to use libsigc++ and if you are working in
C++ for any reason, you should be aware of sigc++. its the greatest
thing for C++ since boost (and thankfully, boost includes something
closely modelled on it these days).

> what toolkit you choose, so I'd favour GTK because of its easy
> integration with GStreamer and to keep the whole application under the
> callback paradigm.

signals & slots are a callback mechanism too. they just hide it from
the programmer with a different kind of abstraction (when this signal
is "emitted", call the following "slot"). its all just syntactic
sugar.