[LAD] Selectable limit for polyphony of virtual synth

From: Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@email-addr-hidden-dsl.net>
Date: Mon Aug 24 2009 - 22:10:55 EEST

Hi programmers of virtual synthesizers :)

more than an hour ago I wiped of the dust of my old Oberheim to make
soundfonts of some basses, but some pad sounds captivated me. The
Oberheim is limited by 6-voice polyphony, resp. this isn't a limitation
for those sounds. Virtual synth often tend to make the mix muddy, when
playing pad sounds, because the polyphony isn't limited, every released
note is able to end the complete release decay. For the Oberheim some
notes are cut, while the wanted notes still can play the release decay.

A selectable limit for polyphony might be a feature, that should become
more common again, not only for virtual analog synthesizers.

I know that e.g. fluidsynth-dssi has a global setting for polyphony, but
the problem with this is, that it has impact to all used fluidsynth-dssi
plugins.

Cheers,
Ralf