Re: [LAD] Selectable limit for polyphony of virtual synth

From: Jens M Andreasen <jens.andreasen@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Aug 25 2009 - 03:18:07 EEST

On Mon, 2009-08-24 at 21:10 +0200, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> Virtual synth often tend to make the mix muddy, when
> playing pad sounds, because the polyphony isn't limited, every released
> note is able to end the complete release decay. For the Oberheim some
> notes are cut, while the wanted notes still can play the release decay.

Where do the newly assigned voices start their envelopes from when they
are stolen from decaying voices? Say "the glass is half empty", will
they then:

a) "Empty the glass" and start over with a fresh attack from scratch.
Synced so to say.
b) Contnue from the level they were at when re-assigned, only that now
"the glass is half full" instead, and the attack will reach max almost
immediately.

I think the latter could be more expressive when there are no more
voices than you can easily direct with a single two-handed chord, to get
in control of the stage again. Six voices would pretty good for that,
but I remember five like the Prophet had was annoying. Or that at least
I got lost fighting my own clumpsyness.

Hmmm ... Split 2+4 comes to mind as well.

> A selectable limit for polyphony might be a feature, that should become
> more common again, not only for virtual analog synthesizers.

++