Re: [LAD] Selectable limit for polyphony of virtual synth

From: Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@email-addr-hidden-dsl.net>
Date: Mon Aug 24 2009 - 22:45:22 EEST

hollunder@email-addr-hidden wrote:
> One obvious question there is:
> what should the synth do when it reaches the limit?
> There are several things that are possible and afaik implemented in
> synths. It could drop the first note played, or the highest, or ...
>
> Just as a hint. I clear the stage for the synth freaks now.
> Philipp

That's right Philip :)

I funk to answer it ;), because my Oberheim has got 6 voices and I
played 5 voices all the time, I couldn't discern it, but I guess for
this case it doesn't make a big difference, release only is for 'all at
last played notes', it can be called 'monophonic polyphony' ;). What you
are talking about seems to be interesting for synth that needs to manage
e.g. a limit of 64 voices, but for 16 sounds played by 16 channels. I do
have such synth, they don't sound like my Oberheim.

The selection needs to be able to enable what I call 'monophonic polyphony'.

Ralf