Re: [LAD] Selectable limit for polyphony of virtual synth

From: Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@email-addr-hidden-dsl.net>
Date: Tue Aug 25 2009 - 02:06:46 EEST

Nick Copeland wrote:
> Voice allocation really depends on what you want the virtual synth to do.
> If you want it to sound like the original then it should use a similar
> algorithm,
> if you want something that sounds better than or like the original
> then for
> something like an Oberheim, it will probably not be the voice
> allocation that
> is lacking on the emulator, more likely the overall quality of the
> sound that will
> prevent the emulator from being as good: whatever you do with voice
> allocation,
> if the emulator does not have Oberheim filters and oscillators it will
> not sound
> like an Oberheim.

I can sample some sounds of my Oberheim and make soundfonts and just
need a soundfont player, that is able to emulate the voice allocation. A
lot of sounds can't be emulated by algorithm¹ or layered samples, but
this isn't what I need, not all sounds are using features that can't be
sampled.

Btw. there are very good emulations for the ARP step sequencer sounds
available as proprietary VST or modern external, stand alone synth.

Tonight I'll record some sounds of my Oberheim and then try to work with
swami to make a soundfont.

Theoretically I don't need any virtual synth, but because on my computer
there's too much MIDI jitter for external equipment, but no MIDI jitter
for virtual synth, band-aid should be to sample some of my synth. Might
become funny for long vector synthesis sounds, that I'll also sample. I
guess I have to spend 20,- € to pimp my RAM from 2 GB to 4 GB.

Ralf

¹ resp. not today or just by some proprietary plugins