Re: [LAD] [LAU] [ANN] LADI Session Handler - Preview 1

From: Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@email-addr-hidden-dsl.net>
Date: Sat Sep 05 2009 - 14:29:41 EEST

Ray Rashif wrote:
> 2009/9/5 Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@email-addr-hidden-dsl.net
> <mailto:ralf.mardorf@email-addr-hidden-dsl.net>>
>
> Ray Rashif wrote:
>
> How could I forget - e17 actually has _a lot_ of potential.
> More than KDE as a whole.
>
> http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/3/36/E17_bw_screenshot.png
>
> But that's all it has - potential.
>

> I'm an e17 and KDE user and IMHO you are wrong, just because KDE
> is stable and e17 very, very often is a PITA. I might be wrong,
> but I guess KDE is able to do nearly everything e17 could do + a
> little bit more. The only reason not to use KDE3 or KDE4 is the
> usage of resources by this DE. In addition I would suggest to use
> KDE with KWin and not a WM that needs proprietary graphics
> drivers. I'm only referring to the so called "pro-audio" usage.
>
> Ralf
>

> I don't know what you're getting at, but I hope you understand the
> meaning of "potential". It's evident that e17 has got it right
> especially when its fancy graphical effects works smoothly on an AMD
> K6. That's a start, because in that way we know nothing is choking
> (especially in KWin where there are random artifacts if compositing is
> disabled). What I'm saying is that it _can_ be comparable to KDE's
> usability, sometime in the future when it's stable.
>
> For now I have to keep LXDE as a secondary environment.
>
> Anyway what WM needs proprietary graphics drivers?

E17 didn't change a lot since it was the default for the JAD installing
media some years ago, KDE did change a lot. Yes e17 has got potential,
that's why I'm using it again, but it's very experimental. I don't like
crashs when I try to chose fonts, I like to chose fonts etc., something
that isn't fine for e17.

All those "show my desktops as a cube and add rain to my windows" and
make all windows transparent needs proprietary drivers, okay, KWin is
able to do transparency too, but it still isn't a "show my desktops as a
cube and add rain to my windows" DE.

Just my 2 cents.

Ralf