Re: [LAD] [LAU] [ANN] LADI Session Handler - Preview 1

From: Ray Rashif <schivmeister@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sat Sep 05 2009 - 17:45:34 EEST

2009/9/5 Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@email-addr-hidden-dsl.net>

> E17 didn't change a lot since it was the default for the JAD installing
> media some years ago, KDE did change a lot. Yes e17 has got potential,
> that's why I'm using it again, but it's very experimental. I don't like
> crashs when I try to chose fonts, I like to chose fonts etc., something that
> isn't fine for e17.
>
> All those "show my desktops as a cube and add rain to my windows" and make
> all windows transparent needs proprietary drivers, okay, KWin is able to do
> transparency too, but it still isn't a "show my desktops as a cube and add
> rain to my windows" DE.
>
> Just my 2 cents.
>
> Ralf

That's right - the word is experimental. If and when it gets out of that
phase, which judging from over 8 years (was the e in JAD e16 or 17?) of
development so far doesn't look near, it will be a worthy option.

But saying all that, the irony is that I just installed and updated myself
again to the latest intel driver (was previously on a downgraded version due
to slow 3D performance), set up KMS, and my KDE 4.3 is looking as good as it
never did before. Simply amazing, and surprising because I thought it'd take
at least until 2010 to sort that one out.

The first thing to try would be getting messages across the windows, and use
double-clicks to select one. Since KWin already has the drawing thing, it's
possible to interactively render a cable a la QJackCtl. So this is
inter-application communication, which I'm not sure is trivial.

Then again, why go through so much work for the same function? (signal
routing; already accomodated for by QJackCtl) It'd just be another step
towards fanciness, not sure how effective it'd really be. Once there are too
many channels/ports, it'll get to a point where it'll be cumbersome.