Re: [LAD] (Somewhat OT) Advice needed on distro choice

From: Ray Rashif <schivmeister@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Sep 24 2009 - 03:05:24 EEST

2009/9/24 <hollunder@email-addr-hidden>

> About the rt kernels:
> We don't have as much experience as Fernando, so the rt kernels
> are probably not as tuned yet, but since it's trivial to make config
> changes and compile/install kernels that could change quickly. The
> current rt kernels are based on the vanilla kernels and unpatched
> (except for some ATI graphics compatibility), which is a little plus I
> guess.

Uhmm no. That is a decision we made to keep in sync with KISS, while less is
definitely better in the case of kernels. We patch only as needed, and all
ammendments against the stock kernel are documented in the changelogs.
Practically, there are no further "tunables" aside from removing unneeded
options and modules. Some users probably already have their own tried and
tested config for that, since most prefer to optimise for their machines
anyway.