Re: [LAD] [LAU] So what's the deal with controlling the aeolus organ?stops via midi

From: Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@email-addr-hidden-dsl.net>
Date: Tue Oct 06 2009 - 23:58:05 EEST

Pedro Lopez-Cabanillas wrote:
> On Monday, October 5, 2009, Fons Adriaensen wrote:
>
>> On Mon, Oct 05, 2009 at 07:00:40PM +0200, Pedro Lopez-Cabanillas wrote:
>>
>>> The MMA requires that you use a registered manufacturer ID, but only for
>>> commercial products. There is a special ID = 0x7D that is intended for
>>> educational or development use only, and should never appear in a
>>> commercial design.
>>>
>> Where it is silently assumed that 'educational' and 'development'
>> implies 'not distributed', or at least 'never used together with
>> any other app using the same ID'.
>>
>> If two or more open source programs use 0x7D and they happen to
>> see the same MIDI stream then one of them will be screwed.
>>

> The only devices or programs that would be screwed are those bad or poorly
> designed/written.
>
> In addition to the manufacturer ID, there should be enough additional bytes to
> uncertainly identify a particular model among others using the same
> manufacturer ID. The device (soft in this case) receiving a message should be
> able to distinguish between legitimate and spurious messages using the model
> ID bytes, checksums and/or some other mechanism.

Checksums are not always used for simple parameters, I guess they are
used for complete dumps and the model number or device number also could
have a FLOSS-twin. For e.g. the Matrix-1000 you can have several
Oberheim Matrix-1000 and give them device numbers, so that only one
Matrix-1000 will use received data. It would be really good if there
would be a first ID for FLOSS, but there isn't, so it might be the best
way to make this ID changeable by the GUI.