Re: [LAD] [LAU] So what's the deal with controlling the aeolus organ?stops via midi

From: Fons Adriaensen <fons@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Oct 06 2009 - 23:45:29 EEST

On Tue, Oct 06, 2009 at 07:26:18PM +0200, Ralf Mardorf wrote:

> I don't know Aeolus, but usually a user should be able to change between
> setting 1 and setting 2 by the GUI of the application, just by using the
> mouse and without any knowledge about 0xf0 and 0xf7. The SysEx data
> should be sent by MIDI, while the user just switch from setting 1 to
> setting 2 by the GUI and a sequencer could receive it.
>
> A misunderstanding because we are writing on English? It's not my native
> language ;).

A misunderstanding because you are apparently not aware of
how Aeolus is controlled. With the default instrument setup
there are around 55 'stops' wich can be switched ON or OFF
individually. In general Aeolus could have up to 256 of such
binary switches. Not all combinations make sense, but there
are still zillions of them that do. Such a system does not
map to anything standard in MIDI, but it is how a real pipe
organ is controlled.

Aeolus can store combinations of these switches as presets,
and you can then load these presets using the standard MIDI
bank/preset messages. But the discussion is about the format
of MIDI messages to control each switch individually.

Ciao,

--
FA
Io lo dico sempre: l'Italia è troppo stretta e lunga.