Re: [LAD] [LAU] So what's the deal with controlling the aeolus organ?stops via midi

From: Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@email-addr-hidden-dsl.net>
Date: Wed Oct 07 2009 - 01:51:20 EEST

Fons Adriaensen wrote:
> On Tue, Oct 06, 2009 at 11:33:13PM +0200, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
>

>> For the default it would be very easy, 55 * on + 55 * off = 110 settings.
>> An universal control change is number 6. This could be used to sent by the
>> data byte 110 different numbers ;), resp. 128.
>>
>> 0 = S1 off
>> 1 = S1 on
>> 2 = S2 off
>> 3 = S2 on
>> etc.
>>
>> Not a very smart solution, but easy to understand for green users, more
>> easy than using NRPN and controllers like 6, 96 and 97 are made for similar
>> issues.
>>

> The default instrument has around 55 stops, but in
> general it could have up to 8 groups of up to 32
> stops each.
>
> We need not only 'on' and 'off' but also 'toggle', and
> commands to reset a group in a single operation.
>
> Any protocol coded into Aeolus must be able to support
> the maximum configuration, since such an instrument can
> be created without recompiling the program.
>
> The current format using controller 98 provides all of
> this. It requires a maximum of two controller messages
> per stop, and in most cases less.
>
> Ciao,

Now I do understand :).

IMO SysEx is the best solution, even if there should be a way to solve
this by Controller Changes, because the user anyway would need a GUI to
keep track of editing Aeolus. There should be a GUI (an Aeolus editor)
able to send SysEx to Aeolus and to sequencers. The company's ID should
be selectable for Aeolus (and maybe an additional editor GUI) by some
exotic or unused MMA company's IDs.

I guess I really do understand why you're still searching for another
way and that there are some disadvantages by using SysEx, but it sounds
exactly like what SysEx is designed for, because the user needs a GUI to
control this settings and only some SysEx data must be changed
real-time, most of it could be done before making music.

It reminds me of synth from the 80ies without controls. After a while
there were not only software editors, but also hardware editors with
potentiometers and switches sending SysEx.

Ralf