Re: [LAD] [ANN] Qtractor 0.4.3 (fussy doula) released!

From: Rui Nuno Capela <rncbc@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Oct 07 2009 - 13:01:47 EEST

On Tue, October 6, 2009 13:30, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> Rui Nuno Capela wrote:
>
>> Qtractor 0.4.3 (fussy doula) released!
>>

> the last version I compiled was 0.4.2.1401 from svn, build Oct 2 2009
> 03:37:02.

qtractor version 0.4.2.1401, as found a few days ago on cvs, is by all
means the same as tagged release 0.4.3. trust me ;)

> For Linux Qtractor still is my favourite one :).
>

> For further versions I would welcome a more comfortable "management" for
> the .mid clips.
>
> When working on a project I save this project by different names, to
> enable it to go back to a later version. For Qtractor there's a problem.
> After editing a MIDI clip, the changed clip is saved under the same
> name, if you leave the editor without using the "save as..." option, that
> means that when loading an older version of the project, the older version
> can't be restored, when it is using the same clip. This is very unusual
> behaviour for a sequencer. Having those .mid files isn't a bad idea, but
> the way they are managed might need some improvements.

agreed, a better file/resource management is long todo list :)

the way qtractor refers to media content files (audio or midi) is somewhat
loose. so to speak.

as you might already figured out, files are referred by their paths. like
so-called "links" in other daws. so when you edit one midi file in one
session you're possibly changing the content of the file that is referred
from any other session, provided it is the same physical file (same file
path name).

while the midi clip editor tries to implement some kind of copy-on-write
for midi files, by incrementing a number/version suffix, that only occurs
on midi files that have been just imported into new clips, previously
recorded or revised clips will get their files unconditionally replaced
with editors content when you press save.

if, for instance, the given file path/name, is referred by two different
session/project files, you guess it right, any changes made to the clip
file will get reflected on both sessions. obvious, no? ;)

> Thank you, all in all it's a good piece of software :), even if it's
> still version 0.x.

thanks for the support

--
rncbc aka Rui Nuno Capela