Re: [LAD] BFS and lennart's realtimekit idea...

From: Jörn Nettingsmeier <nettings@email-addr-hidden-hochschule.de>
Date: Thu Oct 22 2009 - 19:12:33 EEST

[paul, i assume this was meant for the list?]

Paul Davis wrote:
> 2009/10/22 Jörn Nettingsmeier <nettings@email-addr-hidden-hochschule.de>:
>> hi everyone!
>
> this:
>
>> A feature of BFS is that it detects when an application tries to obtain a
>> realtime policy (SCHED_RR or SCHED_FIFO) and the caller does not have the
>> appropriate privileges to use those policies. When it detects this, it will
>> give the task SCHED_ISO policy instead. Thus it is transparent to the user.
>> Because some applications constantly set their policy as well as their nice
>> level, there is potential for them to undo the override specified by the user
>> on the command line of setting the policy to SCHED_ISO. To counter this, once
>> a task has been set to SCHED_ISO policy, it needs superuser privileges to set
>> it back to SCHED_NORMAL.
>
> doesn't sound like linux or linus style of policy to me. i'll be
> interested to see what happens.

yeah, that's not exactly a touch of genius, but con's user base are,
well, users. making stuff out of the box is how he attracts testers.
in the long run, this should be a limits.conf thing, but in his position
, "wait for your distro to make this work" is a non-starter.

if bfs ever makes it into mainline, this behaviour will surely be shot
down. but the rest sounds interesting. i wonder how the new deadline
scheduler will compare.