Re: [LAD] [Maybe OT] Linux Audio Apps Clasification

From: Ray Rashif <schivmeister@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Nov 04 2009 - 12:05:47 EET

2009/11/4 rosea grammostola <rosea.grammostola@email-addr-hidden>

> Raymond Martin wrote:
> > On November 3, 2009 01:22:30 pm Daniel Vidal wrote:
> >
> >> Hi
> >>
> >> I think this post is [OT] but also i think is the apropiate
> audience...
> >>
> >> I'am now working on making personalized menus for Musix distro. I try
> >> do this task using the freedesktop rules, using .desktop files and the
> >> "Categories" field. This is a real problem. All audio Apps put
> "AudioVideo"
> >> tag... and all apps apear together on a single menu option... Mixers
> merged
> >> with synths... with DAWs... with virtual keyboards... Well... when the
> user
> >> chooses the "multimedia" option of system menu... the submenu have three
> >> columns of apps... Only a little set of apps put more specific tag like
> >> "Midi" or "Synthesis"...
> >>
> >> This behavoir can be modified using more "Categories" tags describing
> >> more closely the app... But this cant be done without the agreement of
> >> linux apps developers about a clasification...
> >>
> >> I can make a proposal to add some tags?
> >>

> > [snip]
> >
> > I can see where you are coming from. The Sound & Video menu on my desktop
> > (E17) is a mess. Categorizing these better would be nice, but I just
> cannot
> > see how you will find a way to break it up that most people will agree
> with.
> > For instance, I do not necessarily agree with the categories you suggest,
> > seems like too many IMO.
> >
> > I would suggest either using very broad categories (max of 3, 4, for
> example)
> > or leaving it alone altogether. Even the other non-audio related menus
> are
> > questionable across different desktops. An end user can always edit them
> > if it bothers them that much.
>
> I thought about this also a while ago...
> Ubuntu Studio has an extra audio/video production menu
>
> The gnome-main-menu from OpenSuse works also pretty well. You can set
> some favourite apps and the others are pretty well organized...
>
> \r

You could always transform your entire desktop to conform to a
personally-categorised menu (with X-$customcat), with the help of the shell.
Copy the chosen apps' entries from /usr/share/applications and place them in
a tmp location, then run:

sed -i 's/Categories=.*/Categories=X-MyCat;/' *

After that move them to ~/.local/share/applications. Application devs could
provide desktop files with their own X-* category, there is no harm.