Re: [LAD] How to develop guis for LV2?

From: Paul Davis <paul@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Nov 08 2009 - 16:54:07 EET

On Sun, Nov 8, 2009 at 9:30 AM, Gabriel M. Beddingfield
<gabriel@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> On Sun, 8 Nov 2009, Paul Davis wrote:
>
>> when you come up with a way to do that, please do let us know. this
>> has been on the table for at least 8 years and no acceptable solutions
>> have ever emerged. they either offer too little control to the plugin
>> developer, or simply cannot integrate with the event loop of the host.
>
> OK, I've dutifully searched the LAD and LV2 archives..... :-)
>
> Why did XEmbed not pan out?  I didn't see anything negative regarding its
> adoption... people just quit talking about.  It doesn't even look like it
> was discussed on LV2-dev.

(a) it doesn't work very well
(b) it requires functioning support from whatever toolkit the host is written in
(c) it doesn't solve the whole issue
(d) check how well it (hasn't) worked out for mozilla/firefox (where
it is used with varying levels of success)
(e) LV2 has no connection to X Window, and it would be nice to have a
solution that wasn't tied into a little-used X11 extension