Re: [LAD] How to develop guis for LV2?

From: David Robillard <dave@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Nov 08 2009 - 20:58:56 EET

On Sun, 2009-11-08 at 11:30 -0600, Gabriel M. Beddingfield wrote:
> Hi Patrick,

> >> I don't think so. ATM, there's plenty of high-quality reference code...
> [snip]
> >
> > Is it just me that feels that the existing examples are too obscure and set
> > the entry level too high for the average developer as well as miss out
> > important use cases specific to different languages?
>
> Let me clearify.... I think this would be excellent. However, I don't
> think it directly relates to the specific problem I was talking about...
> which is a concensus about what extensions hosts should support (as a
> minimum) and which ones plugins should limit themselves to so that
> everything *works* together.

Plugins should use whatever extensions they please. Plugins should
under no circumstances /require/ extensions unless it is absolutely
necessary to do so for the plugin to work at all. Given this, there is
little need to "limit" yourself. Necessity is necessity, regardless of
what the house judiciary committee on LV2 extension support decides
people "should" implement ;)

Easy documentation about which hosts support what is indeed useful, but
you can't come up with a "consensus" about what hosts "should" support.
They "should" support everything ;)

It's what they DO support that matters. There's been far, far, far too
much yapping about this on the list at this point. Yes, we need a
compatibility matrix or something along those lines. Everyone agrees.
There is really no need to continually state it.

SOMEONE MAKE ONE ON THE DAMNED WIKI THEN

The problem is simply a lack of documentation. The solution is to write
it. There is certainly no utility in complaining about these problems
at this point. "Those who can do, those who can't complain".

Since there seem to be several people who are really, really into this
problem.... solve it already. Using mediawiki is not difficult.

-dr