Re: [LAD] How to develop guis for LV2?

From: Chris Cannam <cannam@email-addr-hidden-day-breakfast.com>
Date: Sun Nov 08 2009 - 22:23:09 EET

On Sun, Nov 8, 2009 at 7:24 PM, Nedko Arnaudov <nedko@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
> IMHO, the two basic questions that user will have are:
>
> 1. Will the plugin X that I use a lot work on host Y that I want to try?
> 2. Will the host W that I use a lot work well with the plugin Z I've found?

Hm, I think you may have the wrong tense. I think the one basic
question that users will have is: Why doesn't this plugin work?

It's a LV2 plugin, this is an LV2 host. Why doesn't it appear in the
menu? Or, if it appears in the menu, why does it appear there but not
actually work at all? Or, why doesn't it look cool like it does in
the screenshots on the plugin's website, or like it does in
other-host-Y?

In other words, how can we convey the answers to questions like these
to users who haven't actually bothered to read any documentation
beforehand? (i.e. all users) And how do we do that without being
really annoying about it (e.g. having half the plugins in the menu pop
up an error dialog when you try to select them)?

Chris