Re: [LAD] LADI

From: Florian Faber <faber@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Nov 23 2009 - 15:36:50 EET

Adrian,

>> I have never understood why D-Bus was even considered for a network-wide
>> audio session system.
> Just curious: I wonder who's using network audio. Much of Linux Audio
> is related to this "network" stuff, but I've never seen it anywhere
> else.

This is not limited to transferring audio over a network. This is also
about managing several workstation/distributed systems and external
gear. Audio streams are just one part of the picture.

> I've been in several studios with tons of expensive equipment, however,
> all this stuff was packed in a single room, usually around a decent
> mixing console or a computer with multichannel audio I/O (ProTools,
> Tascam, RME, whatever).

Big consoles already use GBit Ethernet to connect their bits and pieces,
and manufacturers are seeking solutions that allow interoperability.

> Nobody ever used a plugin on a remote system. Nobody ever used a remote
> I/O.

You probably just haven't seen it yet :)

I am very much looking forward to connect my first PoE powered
microphone to the network and have it pop up in ardour.

Flo

--
Machines can do the work, so people have time to think.
public key DA43FEF4          x-hkp://wwwkeys.eu.pgp.net