Re: [LAD] LADI

From: Paul Davis <paul@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Nov 24 2009 - 18:04:59 EET

On Tue, Nov 24, 2009 at 10:53 AM, Adrian Knoth
<adi@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> I wonder why Linux Audio always reinvents the wheel. Just look at the
> Win32 side: VST-Instruments, then put your favourite EQ on the outputs
> and your mastering compressor somewhere else. Still modular, but
> provides total recall.

In this particular case, there are some very simple reasons. In fact,
I'm not even sure that I would call it "reinventing the wheel" as much
as "trying a different way of doing things than has been done before".
It happened this for one primary reason: there was (and to a limited
still is) no plugin API for linux that provides all that is desired by
users, hosts, and developers. It has also allowed the independent
development of useful tools in ways that even with a good plugin API
just doesn't really seem to happen on windows or OS X. Whether this is
a long term win for users is not so clear, but it has certainly made
developers' lives easier and more enjoyable, and linux tends to be
nothing if not developer driven ...

> All we need is a decent plugin API, and LV2 seems to be the choice.

It is looking increasingly like that, but there are still issues that
are not solved. You still will not be able to take any existing LV2
plugin and use its provided GUI in a host written in Qt. Solvable?
Almost certainly. Solution exists? Not at this time. Is it the right
idea for the future? I'd say probably, yes.

> Call me ignorant, but I don't have a single use case for netjack. I load
> a bunch of wav files, make some overdub recordings with mostly one
> (vocal) to twelve (drums) tracks simultaneously, trim regions, move
> snippets around, apply some FX, apply some parameter automation and mix
> it all together.

You mentioned Hans Zimmer. No single computer is powerful enough for a
lot of his soundtrack work, so he has a rack of systems running <some
sample playback engine>. He currently connects them all via audio
outputs, but there's no inherent reason why you couldn't just feed the
output of all those samplers back via a network connection.

> And never forget: Hans Zimmer was able to win a Grammy with Logic on a
> single Apple laptop. ;)

Sure, but thats not how he works all the time :)