Re: [LAD] FOSS Ethernet Soundcard

From: Karl Hammar <karl@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Nov 26 2009 - 21:47:36 EET

torbenh:
> On Tue, Nov 24, 2009 at 08:34:53PM +0100, Karl Hammar wrote:
> > Florian Faber:
> > > What is wrong with netjack? It's made for point-to-point and very
> > Ohh, sorry, I got the impression it was not ready. I don't mind being
> > wrong in that.
> may i kindly ask what gave you that impression ?

 "...but with that I would wait until there are
 decisions on the 'final' netjack version":
http://lists.linuxaudio.org/pipermail/linux-audio-user/2009-November/064701.html

 "Netjack also seems to have quite a high overhead,
 and no specific mechanism for RT syncing audio.":
http://lists.linuxaudio.org/pipermail/linux-audio-user/2009-November/064792.html

> but the lan use-case it pretty trivial and doesnt need all this deadline
> machinery.

Ok.

> if you just want to build a network soundcard, and use jack on a
> computer with that, its ready for 3 years now !!!

Great, good news.

> having more than one network soundcard, and keeping stuff in sync is
> more tricky. it requires that you can control the wordclock on that
> soundcard, and you need a special version of alsa_out.c
> which instead of resampling controls the wordclock frequency.

Ok. let's start with ONE slave then. When that is working, then it's
time for the sync part.

So, this means that most of software part is more or less ready.
We have OSC for control and netjack for transport.

That means that I will forget about the software till I have some hw
to test on.

Regards,
/Karl