[LAD] FOSS Ethernet Soundcard

From: Folderol <folderol@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Mon Nov 23 2009 - 22:28:03 EET

Recent discussion on LAU morphed into an idea for an Ethernet driven
sound card, and as this is now becoming a real development the
suggestion was made that it would be better to transfer the discussion
here.

The rationale in brief:

No proprietry hardware soundcard needed.

Almost all modern computers have reasonably fast Ethernet connections.

Potentially up to 20 channels per card - reality will probably be a lot
different!

FOSS drivers to connect Ethernet to whatever audio server is on the
computer - looking at jack right now.

FOSS within the soundcard module so that protocols/algorythings can be
tuned for best results.

FOSH design enabling hardware to be developed and inproved by anyone.

A number of people have shown interest in this, and we are at the stage
of starting to knock together some basic hardware for a feasibility
study.

State of play:

On Mon, 23 Nov 2009 14:39:48 +0100 (CET)
karl@email-addr-hidden (Karl Hammar) wrote:

> Folderol:
> > On Sat, 21 Nov 2009 12:25:36 +0100 (CET)
> > karl@email-addr-hidden (Karl Hammar) wrote:
> >
> > <snip>
> >
> > > Would this project plan be ok:
> > >
> > > software and hw: Karl
> > > testing and spec's: Folderol
> > > publication via web: anyone??
> > >
> > > git repo: git://aspodata.se/openhw.git
> > > mailing list: hopefully this list, else I put one up at my site
> > > web site: ??
> > >
> > > intial platforms (both by Atmel):
> > > . ATNGW100 (cheap), and
> > > . AT91SAM9260-EK (expensive)
> > >
> > > Next step:
> > > . set up development platform
> > > . simple test with spi and shift registers
> > >
> > > Regards,
> > > /Karl
> >
> > This is all fine by me, but I would make quite clear that if someone
> > comes along with access to a {loadsamoney} spectrum analyser I'd be
> > perfectly happy to step back and take a more supporting role.
>
> Ok, I should get starting then.
>
> Regards,
> /Karl

Others would be welcome to come on board - pardon the pun!

--
Will J Godfrey
http://www.musically.me.uk