Re: [LAD] FOSS Ethernet Soundcard

From: Folderol <folderol@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Dec 01 2009 - 21:24:45 EET

On Tue, 01 Dec 2009 09:20:07 +1100
Patrick Shirkey <pshirkey@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

> On 12/01/2009 12:46 AM, Karl Hammar wrote:
> > pshirkey@email-addr-hidden:

> >> Did anyone have a good reason for not including support for a
> >> usb-1.0/2.0/3.0 interface seeing as we can write the driver ourselves
> >> and adhere to the standard?
> >>
> > The usual open source reasons, time and interest, and maybe money.
> >
> > If someone provides the usb-knowledge (or firewire, adat, ... etc.)
> > I'd be happy to have it included, and I assume others would not mind.
> > Or, others might include it. I encourage people do their own versions.
> >

> How many chipsets come with support for adat or firewire ootb? I have
> used arm, freescale and zilog in the past. None of them did. It will be
> a challenge to find a reasonably priced chipset that has support for all
> the above but maybe there is a family out there that can be easily
> switched without needing major surgery to the board design. The other
> thing to consider is whether the firmware will be open. I have no
> problem with an NDA for development purposes but others might not like that.
>
> What chipsets have been put forward/decided on so far?
>
> >> Most chipsets these days have support for both port types. It would be
> >> very useful if the schematic provided tracks for both ootb.
> >>
> > It should be doable, please tell us what components to inlucde.
> >

> I'll get back to you on this.
>

> >> BTW, I will be able to contribute development funds towards this project
> >> if required once we have a BoM.
> >>
> > I think the most valueable contributions would be
> >
> > . a good set of specs to aim at (I cannot provide that)
> >

> I would like to add usb-2.0/3.0 to the specs. 2.0 is probably easier but
> 3.0 is more cutting edge.

I have some concern that too much addition to the spec, will end up
with a monstrosity that is a nightmare to build, and no more compatible
with the core goal than anything else already available :(

> > . hw and sw knowledge
> >

> Of course.
>

> > . testing and evaluation, and equipment for that
> >

> I have an oscilliscope and some other random hardware for testing with.

My new millivoltmeter/dB meter is nearly finished - All I need now is
precision resistors 9M, 900k, 90k :?

> > . prototype boards for testers
> > . components, chips and mundane things like that
> >

> Once we have an idea of how many people are prepared to contribute to
> the test phase we can get an idea of what kind of costs we are looking
> at and whether it is better to purchase in bulk or seperately.
>
> > . cummunication, git-repo, webserver, mailing list, ...
> >

> I have a server to use for this or we can go with one of the many
> existing free services.
>

> > If someone wish to contract me to work on this, I'd be happy, but
> > that is not a requirement.
> >

> I can contribute funds but cannot afford to fund the project completely.
>

> Patrick Shirkey
> Boost Hardware Ltd

I'll be able to contribute some funds as well

--
Will J Godfrey
http://www.musically.me.uk