Re: [LAD] FOSS Ethernet Soundcard

From: Patrick Shirkey <pshirkey@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Dec 01 2009 - 00:20:07 EET

On 12/01/2009 12:46 AM, Karl Hammar wrote:
> pshirkey@email-addr-hidden:

>>> The original thread converged on a goal pretty quickly: an
>>> inexpensive, multi-channel audio interface which is open hardware and
>>> software, and uses Gig Ethernet as its physical connection method.

>> Did anyone have a good reason for not including support for a
>> usb-1.0/2.0/3.0 interface seeing as we can write the driver ourselves
>> and adhere to the standard?
>>
> The usual open source reasons, time and interest, and maybe money.
>
> If someone provides the usb-knowledge (or firewire, adat, ... etc.)
> I'd be happy to have it included, and I assume others would not mind.
> Or, others might include it. I encourage people do their own versions.

How many chipsets come with support for adat or firewire ootb? I have
used arm, freescale and zilog in the past. None of them did. It will be
a challenge to find a reasonably priced chipset that has support for all
the above but maybe there is a family out there that can be easily
switched without needing major surgery to the board design. The other
thing to consider is whether the firmware will be open. I have no
problem with an NDA for development purposes but others might not like that.

What chipsets have been put forward/decided on so far?

>> Most chipsets these days have support for both port types. It would be
>> very useful if the schematic provided tracks for both ootb.
>>
> It should be doable, please tell us what components to inlucde.

I'll get back to you on this.

>> BTW, I will be able to contribute development funds towards this project
>> if required once we have a BoM.
>>
> I think the most valueable contributions would be
>
> . a good set of specs to aim at (I cannot provide that)

I would like to add usb-2.0/3.0 to the specs. 2.0 is probably easier but
3.0 is more cutting edge.

> . hw and sw knowledge

Of course.

> . testing and evaluation, and equipment for that

I have an oscilliscope and some other random hardware for testing with.

> . prototype boards for testers
> . components, chips and mundane things like that

Once we have an idea of how many people are prepared to contribute to
the test phase we can get an idea of what kind of costs we are looking
at and whether it is better to purchase in bulk or seperately.

> . cummunication, git-repo, webserver, mailing list, ...

I have a server to use for this or we can go with one of the many
existing free services.

> If someone wish to contract me to work on this, I'd be happy, but
> that is not a requirement.

I can contribute funds but cannot afford to fund the project completely.

Patrick Shirkey
Boost Hardware Ltd