Re: [LAD] FOSS Ethernet Soundcard

From: Adrian Knoth <adi@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Dec 02 2009 - 17:20:45 EET

On Wed, Dec 02, 2009 at 10:05:51AM -0500, drew Roberts wrote:

> > > Audio data transfer will be via netjack using CELT compression.
> > Ack.
> Can CELT also do uncompressed or lossless?

That's called raw PCM. ;)

> Otherwise limiting to CELT might not be such a good idea if I have
> followed things closely enough.

It's not a good idea. It imposes latencies and there's actually no need
for compressed data as long as there is plenty of bandwidth (and there
will be, since we're talking LAN)

Perhaps having multiple samplewidths is also unnecessarily complicated.
As Joerg has pointed out, simply using single precision floats would fit
them all. Conversion could still be done on the host CPU, if need be.
(but there won't be a need for that if using jackified apps)

Just my $0.02

--
mail: adi@email-addr-hidden  	http://adi.thur.de	PGP/GPG: key via keyserver
NTSC: Never the same colour