Re: [LAD] FOSS Ethernet Soundcard

From: Karl Hammar <karl@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Dec 01 2009 - 22:50:17 EET

Pieter Palmers:
> Karl Hammar wrote:
> > Adrian Knoth:
> >> only chip I know, and luckily, it supports ADAT and Firewire. ;)
> >> http://www.tctechnologies.tc/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=12&Itemid=10
> > But if the network interface can be solved it could be a good
> > solution for your adat - ethernet idéa [2].
> If you really want to go the ethernet route you could look at the DM870:
> http://www.bridgeco.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=45&Itemid=37

It does not seem to help Adrian with his interest in ADAT.

> This has onboard ethernet and USB (at 480Mbit), and runs linux.

Ok, this one is better for your usb wish.

> PS: personally I think that going for the TCAT DICE would be a smarter
> move as this chip has been designed for pro-audio and lot's of channels.

Yes, it seems to have a lot of audio capability. It would be even
nicer if it did have usb and ethernet.

On the downside, at least for me, is that I have no use for it in my
other project, so I can't share that much between projects. The best
thing for me would be to "just add a soundcard" (except the soundcard).

On could possible add an fpga, but that is a long way to go.

Soo, I think that I'll "just add and soundcard" to my original
project and anyone is welcome to participate in that project.

And we discuss the possibility to create a new audio-only project,
and what it should deliver. That also frees us from any form factors
or requirements from the other project. In this possible new project
others than me must step forward and take the lead, but I am willing
to help out where I can. Then we can see what can be shared between
projects.

> But there are plenty of
> technical reasons to choose firewire over ethernet (or USB).

Well, tell us, it will be good to have that documented in a rationale.

Regards,
/Karl