Re: [LAD] FOSS Ethernet Soundcard

From: Folderol <folderol@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Dec 02 2009 - 19:13:06 EET

On Wed, 2 Dec 2009 17:15:25 +0100
fons@email-addr-hidden wrote:

> On Wed, Dec 02, 2009 at 10:05:51AM -0500, drew Roberts wrote:
>
> > Can CELT also do uncompressed or lossless? Otherwise limiting to CELT might
> > not be such a good idea if I have followed things closely enough.
>
> From a soundcard I'd expect the full quality signal,
> nothing less. And as most audio ADCs today are 24-bit,
> I see no point in providing 8 or 16. Even 44.1 kHz
> for me is something of the past, the only place where
> it should be used is when mastering a CD.

I initially suggested 16bit because I thought it would be easier to
manage in the prototype. For the same reason I suggested just 48kHz. I
added the other terms into the spec. proposal simply so that the
protocols remained open enough to cope with changes.

> I've noted some other strange things. Why should a
> soundcard be running Linux, or any other OS for that
> matter ?
>
> Ciao,

I've no idea what would be the best thing here, but surely there is a
need for some sort of OS to enable the interpretation of incoming
commands.Even the simplest would be a nightmare to implement in logic :o

--
Will J Godfrey
http://www.musically.me.uk