Re: [LAD] LADI

From: Louigi Verona <louigi.verona@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Dec 20 2009 - 02:48:01 EET

Hey guys!

I am not a developer, I am a musician who has decided to try to switch to
Linux.

I am not sure how many times this has been discussed and I have signed up to
this list
being interested in audio linux development, specifically lv2 plugins.

But I can say that in three months of very active work with audio, learning
new concepts,
trying out Ardour, Qtractor, Zyn synth, Patchage, Kluppe, Sooperlooper,
JackRack
and LMMS, I can say that although modular approach has its charm and even
use,
for most of the cases it is very awkward and very difficult to set up and
any potential solution
bumps into many problems since any session management system will have to
work with different
apps and it means more chances for errors - excuse me if I am not correct.

On the other hand, an integrated environment, while opposed by many linux
users and programmers,
gives much more control to the musician both in live performance and studio
work.

I must say that I have used Ardour, Kluppe and Jack Rack and Patchage in
live performance and it was great,
but I had to play only one tune. To set up the tune I had to open 4
instances of Kluppe, one Jack Rack,, open Ardour,
load session, load Patchage, disconnect unnecessary connections, connect
Ardour to Jack Rack (for some reason
it does not save connections to Jack Rack) and then connect all of that to a
midi keyboard. This usually takes around
a minute of time.

If I had to play another tune, it would be a disaster, since I would have to
close lots of stuff and reopen, not to mention that
with a complex setup it is difficult to forget.

As for studio work, setting up a whole big number of apps to work on a tune
is very difficult. It also seems to bring up a technical
problem - please sorry again if my technical conclusions are wrong - but
with an integrated environment it seems it is easier to do
memory management. With several apps Jack can just throw an app out without
warning and it is very frustrating and time consuming.

So, as a musician, I think linux audio developers have to focus on

1. integrated audio environment
2. sotware synthesizers/effects (LV2)

LMMS is an integrated environment and having Zyn inside it is great. LMMS is
very promising.
But what isn't there are plugins and synthesizers. As an ambient composer I
simply lack the tools
I need,

Hope any of this was useful.

Louigi Verona.