Re: [LAD] LADI

From: Ralf Mardorf <ralf.mardorf@email-addr-hidden-dsl.net>
Date: Sun Dec 20 2009 - 03:21:27 EET

Louigi Verona wrote:
> Hey guys!
>
> I am not a developer, I am a musician who has decided to try to switch
> to Linux.
>
> I am not sure how many times this has been discussed and I have signed
> up to this list
> being interested in audio linux development, specifically lv2 plugins.
>
> But I can say that in three months of very active work with audio,
> learning new concepts,
> trying out Ardour, Qtractor, Zyn synth, Patchage, Kluppe,
> Sooperlooper, JackRack
> and LMMS, I can say that although modular approach has its charm and
> even use,
> for most of the cases it is very awkward and very difficult to set up
> and any potential solution
> bumps into many problems since any session management system will have
> to work with different
> apps and it means more chances for errors - excuse me if I am not correct.
>
> On the other hand, an integrated environment, while opposed by many
> linux users and programmers,
> gives much more control to the musician both in live performance and
> studio work.
>
> I must say that I have used Ardour, Kluppe and Jack Rack and Patchage
> in live performance and it was great,
> but I had to play only one tune. To set up the tune I had to open 4
> instances of Kluppe, one Jack Rack,, open Ardour,
> load session, load Patchage, disconnect unnecessary connections,
> connect Ardour to Jack Rack (for some reason
> it does not save connections to Jack Rack) and then connect all of
> that to a midi keyboard. This usually takes around
> a minute of time.
>
> If I had to play another tune, it would be a disaster, since I would
> have to close lots of stuff and reopen, not to mention that
> with a complex setup it is difficult to forget.
>
> As for studio work, setting up a whole big number of apps to work on a
> tune is very difficult. It also seems to bring up a technical
> problem - please sorry again if my technical conclusions are wrong -
> but with an integrated environment it seems it is easier to do
> memory management. With several apps Jack can just throw an app out
> without warning and it is very frustrating and time consuming.
>
> So, as a musician, I think linux audio developers have to focus on
>
> 1. integrated audio environment
> 2. sotware synthesizers/effects (LV2)
>
> LMMS is an integrated environment and having Zyn inside it is great.
> LMMS is very promising.
> But what isn't there are plugins and synthesizers. As an ambient
> composer I simply lack the tools
> I need,
>
> Hope any of this was useful.
>
> Louigi Verona.

Full acknowledge.

If you do live stuff you should write simple shell scripts, that will
set up most of the things automatically. To do this, there's no need to
have much knowledge about writing shell scripts.

There are helping applications e.g.
http://tapas.affenbande.org/wordpress/?page_id=14.

Did you try Qtractor from SVN?
http://qtractor.sourceforge.net/qtractor-downloads.html#SVN