Re: [LAD] LADI

From: Bob Ham <rah@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Dec 22 2009 - 21:17:45 EET

On Sun, 2009-12-20 at 13:13 +0100, torbenh wrote:
> On Sun, Dec 20, 2009 at 11:23:54AM +0100, rosea grammostola wrote:
> > Gabriel M. Beddingfield wrote:
> > > When I'm not in group 1, I'm hanging out in group 4.
> > > Inter-host and headless session management is important to
> > > me, too.
> > >
> > > I really do hope that Fons releases his code. :-)
> >
> > @Fons, thanks for your reply. It seems that you're not planned to make a
> > session handler for the mass... That's not bad at all in many cases.
> > Good luck with it and I hope you decide to release your code.
> >
> > Ok, roughly we have 4 groups now (assuming that we can call >1
> > individuals a group ;) )
> >
> > Group 1 has spoken, group 3 and group 4.
> >
> > What can we expect from group 2? Maybe some of the lash developers
> > belongs in this group?
> > Dave, Juuso, Bob Ham, ... ? What are your plans now?
>
> dunno... jack session is frozen now.
> it took a huge flame war to find out some implications of the
> requirements.
>
> so basically i dont think we can reach consensus.
> and sessionhandling is _only_ about consensus. its not a problem at all
> to implement.
>
> lad is dead.

This all seems a bit odd to me. Session handling is not necessarily
about what the community wants. It's about what the people implementing
the session handling system want. If that's in line with what other
people want then it will be used. If it's in line with what many people
want then it will become widespread. You can't please all of the people
all of the time.

I think the problem with jack session is nothing to do with consensus
within the general context of LAD and entirely to do with consensus
within the context of JACK. And it's no surprise that a consensus
wasn't reached because implementing session handling within JACK itself
is neither necessary or, I believe the right thing to do. I cannot
think of any reason why JACK would ever need awareness of session
handling.

As for LAD being dead, I think LV2 shows that it's still very much
alive.

--
Bob Ham <rah@email-addr-hidden>