Re: [LAD] LADI

From: Nedko Arnaudov <nedko@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Dec 24 2009 - 20:32:51 EET

rosea grammostola <rosea.grammostola@email-addr-hidden> writes:

> Nedko, is LADI an project of your own, or are you willing to collaborate
> with other developers who might have interest in the project? Do I
> understand it right that characteristics of LADI are still open for
> discussion?

LADI is a project that I started about two years ago. While it is me
that is mainly driving it, it is not some kind of dictatorship. In past,
several devlopers have contributed code and even more users have
contributed ideas and provided feedback. Progress of the project brought
some well defined properties of the LADI system. While they can be
changed for sure, a large part of the involved people needs to
agree. As I, for good or bad, am playing the role of the leader of this
thing, I am responsible for decisions that affect the viability of the
LADI system. Hopefully this explains why my statements about some
subjects are so strong sometimes. It is good for the LADI project to
have more active developers. As a developer of this project, I've
collaborated with different people from the LAD community, and the
result was almost always good.

> Maybe it aint that bad to have two types of Session handlers for Linux.
> The LADI approach and another approach without D-Bus. It's not bad to
> have choice as user and maybe someone needs the features of LADI and
> others features of more minimal session handlers.

It is always better to have more software to choose from. Unfortunately,
the reasons for so called competition in open source projects is often
working against users, because of the NIH (Not Invented Here) syndrome
and the SEP (Somebody Else's Problem) effect. I would really like to
beleive that I am wrong. And I would like LAD community to be less
stagnant and more open for new ideas and different perspectives.

> Till now, LADI seems to be the only project that has reach an status so
> that it actually works and is useful for musicians. Other projects seems
> to be ideas on paper, nothing practical useful yet.
> As a user I'm hoping that LADI will become an success, cause at the end
> we really need an workable session handler. On the other hand I also
> hope that people like Fons, Bob, Torben and David are able to release an
> session handler without D-Bus. They have proven to have good ideas and
> programming skills.

I also hope that this will happen. More software we have, more value
this community has. Lets favour software creation instead of busting
flame wars.

> I think it will be good to have as much as consensus and especially
> collaboration as possible. It would be good if others join the LADI
> project I think. But I can't say which project goals are somewhat close
> to the LADI project goals. Someone said that Torbens ideas could be
> implemented or used in LADI in some way maybe. Then it would be good
> maybe, to have a good (privat) discussion between the developers (at
> least Nedko seems to say he stands open for that).

Yes I am open, as long as it is not at cost of killing the whole
project. One of the other projects I've started, zynjacku, is an example
of how project direction has shifted without sacrificing the original
goals. And this shift happened because of the community. Zynjacku got
more improvements for LV2 plugins with static set of ports and custom
GUIs (like calf and invada plugins) than it got for dynparam generic
GUIs (the lv2zynadd plugin).

Весела Коледа
Merry Christmas
Joyeux Noël