Re: [LAD] jack_mixer, resp. PID in JACK client names in general

From: Arnout Engelen <lad@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Dec 29 2009 - 11:39:03 EET

On Tue, Dec 29, 2009 at 08:01:18AM +0100, Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> Please coders, avoid using the PID in JACK client names. I like to restore
> sessions automatically by Qtractor or jack_snapshot.

Agreed. The background, I guess, is that client names need to be unique. In the
jack_client_new days, appending the PID was a nice way of ensuring your name
would be likely to be unique (even when you start multiple instances of the
same tool). Nowadays, this is handled (and handled better) in jack_client_open,
so I agree applications shouldn't append their PID anymore themselves.

In case you really do want to be able to run multiple instances of the same
app, it would be useful if applications allowed you to specify the desired
client name at the commandline so you can give it a useful name.

> I like jack_mixer a lot, but can't use it, because of the PID in the JACK
> client's name and there seems to be no option to ban this behaviour.

Actually, jack_mixer allows you to specify the desired client name at the
commandline. Just start it with 'jack_mixer asdf', and the client will be
called 'asdf' without the pid.

Arnout