Re: [LAD] GUI for audio application

From: Emanuel Rumpf <xbran@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Dec 30 2009 - 20:20:25 EET

2009/12/29 Arnold Krille <arnold@email-addr-hidden>:

>> Very shiny. However, pretty useless as far as screen real-estate goes.
>> 100 or so pixels either side for 'screws' is not necessary either.
>
> And pixel-based guis are _so_ last century.
>
> When you want good guis, that is usable and scalable and good looking, its not
> about doing in gui what you do in gimp, but doing in gui what you do in
> inkscape...

I disagree.
1. rendering complex SVGs can be very time-consuming
2. scaled SVG can look worse than scaled px graphics (depends on
design, renderer)
3. some graphic-effects cannot (yet) be achieved with vector graphics
(think of all the gimp plugins..., photo realism)

SVG has benefits for some areas,
but it is not a replacement for pixel art.

Two can have different opinions about a certain design,
but should not be against design as a process of thinking about
beauty, attraction and usability.
Even the CML is a kind of design, if you want to see it as that...
neither the worst, nor the best.

In software, usability has priority over beauty (usually).
IMO, the screws are totally acceptable here, as design elements,
since they don't prevent usability nor introduce optical overload.

Possible interpretation:
The screws add imaginary value, by offering the user something known,
"real", by pretending materiality.

If we only did the necessary, our world would look poor -- ?

--
E.R.