Re: [LAD] PortAudio experience

From: <fons@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Jan 12 2010 - 20:51:24 EET

On Tue, Jan 12, 2010 at 10:15:33AM -0800, Michael Ost wrote:

> We are considering using PortAudio for Linux hardware support (and
> Windows/Mac as well). What's the word on the quality, reliability,
> ease-of-programming, latency and performance in Linux?
>
> Our product (Receptor) is used in live situations by non-programmers, so
> the support can't be "tweaky" if you know what I mean. The product only
> needs to support a couple of sound cards, though, so it won't have to
> target lots of hardware.

If it makes any sense at all to connect your product not
just to a soundcard but to other audio applications as well
(and I really don't know of any for which this is not the
case) then on Linux it should support Jack.

PortAudio IIRC has some support for Jack, but it's not
what it could and should be - it considers Jack to be
'a soundcard' which it isn't.

Making Jack apps 'easy to use for the non-technical' is
not difficult at all, basically you should allow the user
to connect to whatever he/she wants, either using a GUI
inside your app or using external tools, remember those
connections as part of a 'preset' or 'config' or whatever
applies to your app, and re-make the connections when
that preset or config is reloaded.

Ciao,

--
FA