Re: [LAD] PortAudio experience

From: Stéphane Letz <letz@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Tue Jan 12 2010 - 21:20:03 EET

Le 12 janv. 2010 à 19:38, Paul Davis a écrit :

> On Tue, Jan 12, 2010 at 1:29 PM, Michael Ost <most@email-addr-hidden> wrote:
>> Paul Davis wrote:

>>> it works. its development seems to be an issue. it will not fix any of
>>> the issues that you'd otherwise have to tackle on linux.
>>
>> Can you say more about that last sentence? I'm not quite getting it.
>
> portaudio doesn't replace ALSA, it sits on top of it. so any issues
> that you might have with ALSA on linux will still exist to some degree
> even if you use portaudio.
>
>>> however, i'm puzzled: you guys are already running on linux - what are
>>> you using now, and why the switch? cross-platform?
>>
>> Yes, cross platform. I'm investigating Windows/MacOS support. We've got our
>> own portability layer, but it's only really implemented for Linux.
>>
>> BTW - I looked at JACK, but a quick google scan suggests that its not quite
>> ready for prime time in Windows.
>
> I don't think that is true, but its not clear that you want your
> product based on a server/client model anyway. The windows
> installation seems to work quite well, but it requires an
> ASIO-supported interface.

I does not *require* an ASIO interface. JACK2 on Windows use PortAudio (yes !!) for its audio backend, and since PortAudio sits on top of either WinMME, DirectSound or ASIO, then JACK2 can access either WinMME, DirectSound or ASIO cards.

Then the JACK on Windows package contains an ASIO/JACK bridge called JackRouter, that is an ASIO driver on one side and a JACK client on the other side. Then any ASIO capable application can access the JACK server.

> I think JACK for Windows works more or less
> as well as JACK on linux or OS X, but its likely to create a lot of
> extra friction in terms of user experience for your particular use
> case. OTOH, stephane does have a trick in jack2 whereby you can make
> the app *become* the server, and then run the app, so to speak, as an
> internal client, so that there is no IPC overhead at all. i don't know
> if this works in windows.

Never actually tried, but not reason it would not work.

Stéphane