Re: [LAD] tschack ... early version of smp enabled jack1

From: alex stone <compose59@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Wed Jan 27 2010 - 21:39:44 EET

Torben, after the flurry of initial testing, and substantial updates,
i've got a better view of tschack with a full day's testing, today.

tschack, with the exception of the 3 updates you did, has been running
solid all day. No xruns reports, or sudden spikes. I've been using it
in real use case, with a large linuxsampler samplelib set, oom,
a2jmidid, calf verb, jp1 patchbay, non-daw for some modest recording
tryouts, and a lot of midi and audio ports (i mean hundreds) as if i
were running a normal day. There's been a lot of starts and stops, as
i edit midi, and kick large orchestral midi files into life, and kill
em again. in this real use case (mine), i guess real numbers are as
appropriate as they are going to get in this, the early stages.

It's been a good day, and i've enjoyed the stability. I used jack1
before, because it gave me fewer challenges, xruns and occasional pops
and spits, than jack2, which i ended up having to ease out to
48000/512/3, to reach near the same performance. (i'm on 48000/256/3
with jack1) Doing lots of midi editing, and starting large sample sets
for orchestral work can be quickly problematic, and today i was able
to sit on 48000/256/3 all day with trouble free performance.

Subjective stuff i know, but it's been enjoyable and productive, and
that's a criteria for me.

I'll keep testing, and i'm somewhat rueful about jconvolver, but that
aside, (and i hope i can use it again in the near future), the rest of
the setup has been cruising along, and not getting in the way of me
writing, with problems, or glitches.

All in all, a good day, and looking forward to the next stage in the
progress of tschack, and what else you might consider adding to this
experimental version. As we're free of political constraints, and
mainstream requirements, i have a "modest' list of suggestions you
might want (or not) to have a look over. :)

More to come...

Alex.

--
www.openoctave.org