Re: [LAD] [Jack-Devel] tschack ... early version of smp enabled jack1

From: Gabriel M. Beddingfield <gabrbedd@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Thu Jan 28 2010 - 06:39:03 EET

On Wed, 27 Jan 2010, Stéphane Letz wrote:

> JACK2 code base can be instrumented (using the "--profile
> Build with engine profiling" option ) to give more precise
> understanding of the source of possible Xruns.
>
> See : http://www.grame.fr/Ressources/pub/JACK2_lac2009.pdf
>
> We cannot fix possible issues if they are not reported
> with some precise infos on what happens.

I started playing with this -- and this is pretty cool.
Great work!

I had been avoid this because I figured it comes with a
performance overhead (like -gprof does). Or, perhaps it
only has overhead when you use it (like Sun's strace).
What overhead does compiling with --profile introduce? Why
not have it enabled by default?

Suggestion/Issue: I have PDF issues with the
TimingN.plot (gnuplot) files that it outputs. They always
issue the command 'set terminal pdf' and try to output a PDF
file. These create an error on my system and I have to
manually delete them or change them to something like SVG
or EPS.

Apparently, there's a license issue with libpdflite (which
gnuplot uses to generate PDFs)... so some distro's won't
have it installed.

Thanks,
Gabriel