Re: [LAD] Trying to understand Jack Midi, (Arpage, Dino)

From: james morris <james@email-addr-hidden-art.net>
Date: Mon Feb 15 2010 - 19:07:49 EET

On 15/2/2010, "fons@email-addr-hidden" <fons@email-addr-hidden> wrote:

>On Mon, Feb 15, 2010 at 04:18:03PM +0000, james morris wrote:
>
>> 1) Is there any way to improve Jack Midi timing when the audio driver has
>> a high latency?
>
>I don't think so. If you set the audio period size to
>e.g. 4096, jack will call clients only every 85ms, and
>midi gets delayed as well.
>
>> 2) What is the reason the Alsa driver/Jack would not start when the
>> settings give a big 170ms+ latency?
>
>Probably because your soundcard doesn't have
>such large buffers. Which is sort of reasonable.
>
>> BTW, I'm doing this stuff so I can program with Jack Midi.
>
>Nice, but why do you want such high latency ??

I don't, it was just for testing out the hypothesis I thought would
explain why I was getting bad timing. I have just been testing it again,
and I actually think the problem was in Yoshimi.

Sorry for making Jack Midi sound bad :|

Running dino and yoshimi (both jack midi apps) the timing was bad even
with decent low latency (and then yoshimi zombified) but using phasex -
not a jack midi app (is it?) - (still with dino) the timing was near
perfect.

And thanks Paul for your answers too.

Cheers,
James.