Re: [LAD] Smallest, simplest, silliest SDR?

From: Gene Heskett <gene.heskett@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Sun Feb 28 2010 - 06:06:02 EET

On Saturday 27 February 2010, Tim E. Real wrote:
>On February 27, 2010 07:50:07 pm Gordon JC Pearce wrote:
>> >
>> > Forgive my ignorance, but what is an SDR ?
>>
>> Software-Defined Radio. Basically you downmix incoming RF to the audio
>> range with two mixers fed 90 degrees out of phase. You can then munge
>> this in various different ways to tune and demodulate various different
>> radio signals.
>>
>> Gordon MM0YEQ

>I read about this in Nuts And Volts magazine.
>They describe in some detail how SDR works and neat DSP techniques
> in general.
>I searched the web but could only seem to find Windows related stuff.
>Some more Linux stuff would be cool.
>One still needs to build or buy a front-end first though, right?
>
>Tim.

Build it. In 1975, RCA was making an IC for the FM detector that claimed
  <0.1% distortion and at least a 60db SNR for tv and fm radio rx use, the
type CA3089-E. They were about $3 the last time I bought a onsie. 14 pin
dip package. I would imagine that even better integrated circuits are
available today for that. That one needed a superhet front end that could
give it 400 microvolts to achieve that <0.1% THD, and delivered about 400
millivolts of audio.

--
Cheers, Gene
-Ed Howdershelt (Author)