Re: [LAD] automation on Linux (modular approach)

From: Tim E. Real <termtech@email-addr-hidden>
Date: Fri Mar 19 2010 - 22:50:16 EET

On March 19, 2010 03:40:17 pm Arnold Krille wrote:
> On Friday 19 March 2010 20:16:14 Tim E. Real wrote:
> > On March 19, 2010 07:53:23 am Ralf Mardorf wrote:
> > > I do not really understand what the problem is with using MIDI control
> > > change for mixers. The resolution? For 2 data bytes there are 127 * 127
> > > = 16129 steps. The number of channels? It's unlimited when using as
> > > much IOs as needed. IMO there already is a standard for all apps, it's
> > > called MIDI.
> > > IMO automation is overrated, it's useful, but OTOH how often is it
> > > needed to change settings during an opus? Most times a mix, selected
> > > synth etc. are fixed from the start to the end of an opus. For example,
> > > normally a musician plays an instrument dynamically by the touch or by
> > > using a volume pedal. Dynamic for the loudness seldom is done by a
> > > fader after the recording is done.
> >
> > I disagree.
> > Automation, especially audio automation, is extremely important.
> > Some examples:
>
> <stripped the example>
>
> You use the wrong tool.
>
> With ardour:
>
> Slice the original take, move the ends to overlap a tiny bit with the new
> take, let the automatic fades do their job.
> Or move the boundaries edge to edge and use the fact that ardour has a
> slight fade-in/-out at region borders because they would pop otherwise
> regardless whether they overlap with another region or not.
>
> Works like charm and doesn't need automation.
Automatic fades at borders.
Ok, that's advanced, nice that it will do this for you.

Sounds like the same thing, just with MusE you have to do it manually.
Sounds funny, 'manual automation', 'automatic automation'....

Er, question... What if I didn't want those automatic fades at borders?
Can they be turned off or adjusted for fine tweaking?

Does Ardour have some sort of averaging or filtering feature to be
 used for smoothing the joints?

Tim.